Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sunday Recap -- Month 1

So I survived the first month of life on a diet and a budget. I am no worse for wear and in some ways a lot better than I was at this time last month!

Budget: The final tally of my monthly household expenses was well under budget, of course I had no medical expenses or salon visits or any of the higher priced items. Of the laundry list of household items on the breakdown I was over budget on 3 things:
1. Cable (over $21.55) because I have not yet called the cable company to negotiate a lower rate/cut my plan, that is on this month's goal list.
2. Utilities (over $25.74) not unexpected as my electric bill allotment is an estimate for the whole year and this past bill had a lot of AC on it, it has already dropped to budgeted range for the next month.
3. Entertainment (over $1.68) which was the biggest slash to my previous spending habits. This category will be the hardest each month to manage.

Overall I am pleased with my first month of budgeting!

Diet: Successfully hit my weight loss goal for month 1, which was 10% of my overall total goal. I have established a good habit of getting to the gym 5 days a week and I am improving my meal planning. Favorite Snack for month 1 -- apple and peanut butter!

Mood: I have been very focused and organized for month 1. I am fearful of what will happen if I let my focus slip, but I have to sneak in a little more fun in Month 2. I have spent time with friends and had some great days, but overall I was kind of tense for month 1.

I have read that when it comes to healthy habits like going to the gym and eating well it takes 28 days to stick to it and as little as 3 days to break it. I have gotten past the 28 day mark and hope that I can keep going in the right direction.

This next month will include my online money management class that I need to take and more investigation of savings plans for my vacation fund!

Thank you all who have commented and supported me this first month, you are the best!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on a successful first month! We will plan some fun free get-togethers for the fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your one month milestone!

    ReplyDelete