Saturday, September 18, 2010

Pizza and Beer!

Now that I have your attention... last night I had both pizza and beer. It was a study in compromise,but I enjoyed both immensely.

I have already intimated that I am not giving up pizza, along with dessert, so it should not come as a shock to you. I am trying to limit my pizza consumption to 2 slices every other week. It is a fairly arbitrary rule, but it makes me feel in control.

Last night was pizza night and I won't lie, I thought about it all week. My pizza of choice is Upper Crust and they have a fairly new shop in my neighborhood. If you are familiar with Upper Crust you know their pizza is very thin crust, fine chunky natural sauce with delicious cheese used sparingly and not laid on with a trowel. If you get toppings they are fresh, delicious and unique.

Their slices are a gem, huge and in a few choices: cheese, pepperoni and Slice of the Day. The SOD changes each day and is usually something unique and creative, sometimes with veggies that I will opt for. You can get your Cheese or SOD on white or wheat crust and due to an unfortunate wheat crust pizza incident I have not tried the wheat crust yet, but I will...

Also, from a budget standpoint Upper Crust gives a 10% discount to Charlie Card holders and has a loyalty slice program where you get your 11th slice free with a little punch card, so it is a very affordable treat.

Usually I get 1 cheese and 1 SOD, but if the SOD has greasy meat on it I get 2 slices of cheese. I noticed yesterday that the Upper Crust website has a nutrition calculator now and was "shocked" to find that my two huge slices of pizza were pretty high in calories (the fat was not terrible as the cheese is used sparingly).

I discovered this early in the day, so I planned accordingly and pretty much reduced my lunch to an apple, justifying that one of the slices would be my lunch and one my dinner. I was eating very early due to later beer-related plans, so it worked out fine.

Physically I could have had my regularly-scheduled lunch and 1 slice of pizza and also been fine, but psychologically I am still someone that needs 2 slices of pizza. Some day I will be that girl that will be mentally satisfied with one, but that day isn't here and until it arrives I hope I can compensate so as not to overeat.

I then indulged in 2 full calorie handcrafted beers with a friend, which I had also factored into my calories for the day. I tend to drink light beer so 2 regular beers were more than filling and satisfying.

My mini dessert, was 4 pieces of Russian candy from the Russian supermarket in my friend's new neighborhood, a true treat in every sense of the word (although now that she lives there it may become a regular treat).

I did not go over my calories or fat for the day, felt like I indulged and was completely satisfied at bedtime. I have found a way to have my pizza and eat it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment