Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Most Important Meal of the Day

There are pros and cons to the fact that I work from home. A big pro is breakfast. I do not have to grab something on my way out the door, or worse at a coffee shop on my way into the office. I have breakfast at home every day.

I generally have the same thing Mon - Fri and then variety on the weekend and I try to rotate through several weeks worth of breakfasts so by Friday I am ready for whatever next week holds. Here is my weekly rotation to date:

Week 1 -- 2 Eggo Nutrigrain low-fat waffles with 1 T peanut butter, 1 sliced banana

Week 2 -- 1 cup regular Cheerios, 1/2 cup skim milk 1/4 c blueberries

Week 3 -- 1/2 cup nonfat greek yogurt, 1 nectarine, 1/4 c. low-fat granola

Week 4 -- 1 whole wheat English muffin with 1 T peanut butter, apple

Week 5 -- 1 cup (prepared) regular oatmeal (not instant) made with skim milk, honey, Craisins, flax seed and cinnamon

Week 6 -- Small tortilla, 1/2 c. egg beaters, 1 T low fat cheddar, 1 T salsa, 1 c. grapes

Breakfast has definitely been the most successful meal of the day for me consistently through the nearly 7 weeks. To me it is the most important meal of the day because it sets the tone for how I will eat the rest of the day. If I blow it at breakfast I will consider the day a total loss and the slippery slope to pie is steep.

Any good breakfast ideas out there??

2 comments:

  1. I have been just eating cereal recently (Barbara's Shredded Oats with rice milk) but also I really like steel cut oats - I cook a week's worth on the weekend and then heat some up every day and add honey and bananas. Or I have yogurt (usually Stonyfield Farm low-fat vanilla) and add homemade granola and bananas.

    I like your waffle and peanut butter idea though! I may need to borrow that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely do better with some protein in the morning and can't do eggs very often without getting really sick of them, so peanut butter has become my friend :)

    ReplyDelete