Monday, September 27, 2010

Calling All Veggies

I like vegetables. I really do. Lots of them. Yet some days I go to bed thinking "did I eat a vegetable today?"

Working veggies into my meal plan in interesting and easy ways is proving harder than I imagined. I get 3 or 4 servings of fruit a day no problem, but often only get 1 serving of veggies and that is on a good day.

I think stir-frys might be the way to go, I made a delicious one a couple weeks ago with pork, several veggies and a sauce with soy and tangelo juice (also tangelo zest with the ginger and garlic -- delicious)

One of the great things about Whole Foods is the variety of veggies available for "serve yourself" quantities. Bins of snap peas and various mushrooms, not prepackaged so you can just grab a few to add to a dish. They have celery stalks and carrots for individual sale so you don't end up with a watery mushy pile of dead celery in your crisper. It is a stir-fry maker's dream come true. You can snap off a bit of fresh ginger and grab a single shallot. Most things at Whole Foods are pricey, but produce is worth it for the quality and variety.

With fall upon us, soups and stews will also be a good way to incorporate more veggies.

If you have a soup, stew or stir fry that you love let me know, I'd love some new choices!

No comments:

Post a Comment