Friday, September 10, 2010

Say Yes to Dessert

I know, I know I just wrote yesterday about not rewarding myself with food any more, but this is a different issue. Whenever I cut a food out of my life completely it is all I can think about, to the point of obsession and then I must have it. In huge quantities. Such is the issue with dessert.

In the past when I have dieted I have stuck to a strict "no sweets" rule, seems logical as it is an awful lot of empty calories. Somewhere around Week 3, and usually on a Wednesday for some reason, I crack and end up eating an entire cake.

So this time around I am trying to work dessert into my life in a way that keeps me satisfied and away from the Entenmann's boxes. This won't work for everyone, we all have a different relationship to baked goods, but here is my plan so far.

6 days a week I eat a small, 100 calorie dessert. So far my favorites have been 3 mini York Peppermint Patties, fudgcicles or non-fat pudding. I like each of these things just enough that I don't need to binge on them, but yet they give me the dessert euphoria.

1 day a week I can have a real dessert. I am trying very hard to make this one dessert count. The first week I had homemade chocolate cake, then my mom's peach cobbler, last week it was ice cream on the beach. One week the opportunity did not arise and I did not seek it out.

I am trying a similar approach with pizza, more on that later...

No comments:

Post a Comment