Thursday, September 30, 2010

Movies on the Cheap

We are approaching Oscar Season (which I prefer to fall or winter as far as seasons go) and every year I have a very daunting list of films I need to see before the awards.

Time and money often make it impossible to get to them all, it gets expensive hitting the theatre every weekend. Finally, I narrow down my list to must-sees and then promise to watch the rest on DVD.

Right now I have a good number of last year's Oscar noms on hold at the library. Curled up on my couch with some knitting I will get to see 7 or 8 of the films that didn't make the cut last year for free.

As for this year's plan, here are some tips for going to the movies:

1. See a matinee, up to $5 cheaper than the evening shows. Do the movie first and then a take-out dinner back home and save a bunch.

2. Bring your own candy, this is a no brainer even if you aren't on a budget and a diet. Candy at the theatre is so over-sized and overpriced.

3. Skip the popcorn, see #2. If you do get popcorn, share it.

4. Loyalty is rewarded. I have a loyalty card for Regal and after so many movies I get free soda, popcorn and even movie tickets.

5. Find a local theatre, like the Somerville Theatre, which now runs current releases in addition to things that have been out awhile (great place to catch something you missed in bigger houses). Cheaper tickets ($8 evening/$5 matinees), cheaper better concessions and beer!

With some planning I am going to see as many movies before the Oscars as I can afford and not sweat the ones I miss because my library will have them for me soon.

2 comments:

  1. That's right! Oscar season is coming! I'd be curious to know what your selections are...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't done any reading yet, but I heard from a good source that Colin Firth has a movie coming out that may get him his first Oscar.

    Summer Blockbuster season is over though now on to the Oscar contenders!

    ReplyDelete