Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Membership Has Its Privileges

Living on a budget and afraid you will be stuck home every weekend with nothing to do? Investigate a membership at your favorite local attraction!

I live in the Fenway and for the past 4 years have been a member of the Museum of Fine Arts. For $75 a year (fully tax deductible) I get unlimited visits to the museum, 2 free passes for any visiting exhibits, 10% off in the gift shop and restaurants and discounts on parking (don't have a car and the museum is walking distance any way, but still....).

Now I have included this $75 in my annual budget, so it is planned for. It is tax deductible so it is a nice investment and it more than pays for itself after a couple of visits and a few souvenirs.

The best part of my membership is I can go any time I want and stay for as long or as short a period of time as I wish and not feel like I have to "get my money's worth". Regular admission is $20, I would not pay $20 to go look at one amazing portrait of John Adams, but I can do that with my membership.

A friend of mine with a child is a member of the New England Aquarium and assures me she is happy with her investment as well.

Obviously you want to make sure you will visit enough to make the investment worth it, but if there is a place you go to 3 or 4 times a year investigate their membership options, you may find some savings and an easy answer on that day when you have no extra money and would like something to do!

Any of you members of a local museum or attraction?

No comments:

Post a Comment