Thursday, September 16, 2010

Annmarie, Party of 1

I live alone. I work alone. I am alone a lot. I would say of the 28 meals and snacks I eat in an average week I eat 25 of them completely alone.


I don't generally dress up for my meals alone, but maybe I should.

There are pros and cons to being on a diet alone.

PROS
1. You only have to feed yourself
2. You do not need to shop for multiple likes and dislikes, you can make your list for you and that is it.
3. No one else will be bringing home their personal cravings.
4. There are no other schedules to juggle. You eat when you want to and don't have to worry about waiting for someone to get home and then end up devouring a pint of ice cream because you were hungry an hour ago.
5. There are no long conversations to linger over the meal picking at seconds and thirds.

CONS
1. There are no long conversations to linger over and share, eating becomes a lonely compulsory activity.
2. No one sees what you eat, you could eat a box of Pop Tarts for dinner, no one would know.
3. It is hard to motivate to cook a whole healthy meal for one person when take out is so easy and often more cost effective.
4. When you do cook something you end up eating it every day for a week as it generally is enough for a whole family. Redundancy is the killer of all diets.
5. Value packs aren't a value for 1 person, buying in smaller quantities usually costs more.

As far as the cons go I have done a fairly good job of avoiding #2 and am trying hard to work on #3.

I don't mind eating alone for the most part, but I love to have dinner guests...

2 comments:

  1. Con: When you eat alone, there is the constant fear of choking to death on your food with no one there to save you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Bill, so true! I also have the irrational fear that I will develop a food allergy I have never had and fall into anaphylaxis.

    ReplyDelete