Monday, September 6, 2010

Let's Get Physical

OK, so the title of this blog post comes not only from the subject matter but from the episode of Glee where Sue Sylvester does the Olivia Newton John video and then Olivia Newton John shows up, just watched it this weekend and it was hi-larious!


I digress... Dieting is about more than cutting calories, you have to move your body too. I am just about 1 month into my diet and I have done a good job of getting into an exercise routine of hitting the gym 5 days a week. I choose to exercise Mon - Fri as I work from home and can get over to the gym easily at lunch or right after work.

I give myself the weekend to recover (not as young as I used to be) but I like to engage in "found exercise" over the weekend. I don't want it scheduled into my day and I don't want to exhaust myself, but I also do not want to spend 48 hours with my ass attached to my couch.

Luckily, I live in a city and do not have a car, so I have to walk somewhere almost every day. Last weekend I went to the beach and spent 90 minutes in the water, and not just standing there, I swam and tread water and generally splashed around like a goon. This weekend I helped a friend move on Saturday and yesterday had some more beach time that was more sitting than moving, but did involve a walk to search for starfish and hermit crabs (SUCCESS!)

A couple weeks ago I chased my nieces around for a little while and helped pick tomatoes in the garden at my parents' house. As I stay committed to my gym workouts these little moments over the weekends will feel less like exercise and more like what normal people do every day. I can already feel more strength in my legs and better endurance.

Today it is back to the gym!

No comments:

Post a Comment