Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Great Plate Debate

There is much research on the link between overeating and the size of your plate. As Americans we have been trained to fill our plates (and our homes and our purses and our gas tanks) and then to clean our plates. We also have a tendency to want everything bigger (plates, houses, purses and gas tanks to name a few).

The question becomes if we have a smaller plate, will we only fill it once and thus eat less?

I am going to give it a try.

Earlier this month I started to organize my kitchen. This weekend I will complete that project by shifting my dinner ware.

I own 2 sets of dishes. The first set was the set I bought at an outlet when I moved into my first apartment in the US back in 1997. They are Pfaltzcraft fairly plain but lovely every day dishes. The 2nd is a set my grandmother gave me when she was cleaning out her kitchen, they are beautiful and the dinner plates -- considerably smaller.

So Saturday I will take the fancier and smaller dishes (and bowls and serving pieces, look a whole grown up person's dishes!) and put them on the accessible shelf and I will remove the bigger plates (hopefully they will go to a nice person's home).

My kitchen cabinets are overflowing with things I don't use or need and I intend to divest myself of some things to make way for the useful and the necessary. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment