Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A Cautionary Dream

So I have not eaten a single deep-fried thing in over 5 weeks. Not a french fry, not a fried clam, not a chicken finger, nothing. It must be some kind of record for me.

I was thinking last week that I might allow myself the indulgence over the weekend for fear that, like dessert, if I continue to deny myself I will gorge on a big plate of fried. Quickly I realized I had not been denying myself, I had not been longing for fried at all. So I didn't have it.

Last night at my knitting group (which takes place in a food court with all manner of temptations), I proudly declared that I was not craving fried. Then I went home and fell asleep and dreamed that I was eating a huge plate of fried.... stuff. What was on the plate was predominantly a mystery, although I know that at one point I was eating fried ham. I know, gross!

Perhaps this is my subconscious's way of keeping the cravings at bay. I woke up disappointed in myself for giving in to the fried, until I realized it was all just a scary dream and I am 5 weeks and counting. I am not saying I will never have french fries again, but if I can go 5 weeks without them I have much more control over them than I ever had before.

No comments:

Post a Comment