Monday, November 22, 2010

Gobble, Gobble

So it is Thanksgiving week. I love Thanksgiving. Perhaps it is growing up on the South Shore of Massachusetts, mere moments from Plymouth. Perhaps it is gathering together my loved ones. Perhaps it is the parade, who doesn't love a parade. Perhaps it is the pie. And the stuffing. And the gravy.

Thanksgiving is a food holiday (most holidays are food holidays to me, but this is a food holiday to nearly everyone). There are no gifts, unless you include the cheese platter.

In an unforeseen turn of events we are celebrating Thanksgiving at a restaurant this year for the first time in my life. I am totally fine with this for multiple reasons, not the least of which is keeping the peace. And in many ways this will help keep Thanksgiving under control.

The biggest problem with Thanksgiving at my house was not the meal. My mother always made a fairly healthy Thanksgiving, the stuffing and pie were the worst items nutritionally. My problem was portion control. It is very easy to have another scoop of potatoes while chatting about football or stuff another slice of pie in my mouth when someone mentions Sarah Palin.

At the restaurant I will only have as much food as is served to me, still likely more than I should eat, but those pesky seconds and thirds won't exist.

We will be making pie to have at home, but I will try to keep it to one or two (whether I mean slices or entire pies is between me and the pie).

I am thankful for many things, not the least of which is the love and support of those of you that have supported me these past few months. Wishing everyone a peaceful, safe and tasty holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment