Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Clean Green

So for weeks now I have been telling myself I have to do my fall cleaning. I like to get everything spic 'n span and organized before the holidays. There is nothing worse than putting up the Christmas tree with cobwebs in the window.

I try to be greener in my cleaning these days, buying products that are more natural, but this year in an effort to eliminate chemicals all together and save some cash I am going to do my fall cleaning with common household items and see how it goes.

Here is a website with recipes for cleaning products using basic ingredients like baking soda, vinegar and lemon juice.

Another great cleaning agent: vodka! And I don't just mean drink some and the house will look less messy. A friend of mine saw this on Oprah and it is seriously awesome, use vodka in your bathroom/kitchen on the fixtures and they will shine like you won't believe. You don't have to spring for the good stuff either, finally a reason to buy $8 plastic jugs of vodka again.

All those chemical potions cost money and are ultimately not good for me or the planet, so I am going to try to go cheap and green and see if my apartment feels as clean when I am done.

If you have any natural cleaning suggestions please send them along, I would love to try them out.

3 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued by the vodka one...I wonder if other similar alcohols work as well. My favorite tip involving lemons...for cleaning your microwave, especially that gunk that splatters if you forget to cover your leftovers! Put half a lemon into a micro-safe mug full of water. Microwave for a couple of minutes. Wipe inside of microwave with a cloth. I bet 1/4 of a lemon would work just as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amy! I am always annoyed by the microwave gunk and I love lemon :)

    The vodka works great! I imagine other clear alcohols would work as well, but vodka is colorless and odorless, so it doesn't leave any smell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got to try the trick with the lemon in the microwave - thanks!

    ReplyDelete