Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Blog, Blog, Blog

So one of my readers asked me to address what it was like to blog every day. As part of "You Asked For It" week here is a blog about blogging (how very meta of me).

I am a lucky blogger as I happen to work from home and my day allows me the time to devote to a blog post a day (sometimes two if I have content for my knitting blog too). How much time I have can vary based on my work or extenuating circumstances like being away from home, but in general I am lucky in regards to access to a computer and enough time to gather my thoughts.

In the beginnng I had a well thought out message calendar and tried to intersperse my topics from diet to budget to organization and back, but I found that blogging about the diet sort of took over. This happened for a couple of reasons: the budget situation is pretty static right now (which is a good thing) and it seems that food and food-related topics are on my mind and in the news a lot. There was just more fodder with food.

I try to have at least a post a week with links to other articles and source material, to have recommendations for websites or books to encourage those who want to play along at home. I look for recipes and shopping tips on line and try to pass them along.

My fear with blogging in general is slipping in to a solipsistic navel-gazing universe of me, me and only me all the time. I am well aware that I am not the only person facing my particular journey and it would be insensitive at best to write like that. Of course, that doesn't stop me from the occassional reflective post on me, but I try to keep that to a minimum.

I do feel tied to the blog and get a little anxious when circumstances prevent me from blogging in the morning. Like working out, the later in your day it gets the less likely you are to do it. On Sunday I did not have time to blog before I left the house for the day. I did not get home until 11:00 p.m. and had had a few glasses of wine, but I snuck in a post to make my daily quota. In a couple weeks I am traveling for work and will face my first few days "on the road" with the blog.

90% of the time though blogging is just something I do now, like going to the gym and writing out my meal plan. It is part of my process for achieving these goals and if it is slightly self-indulgant I am OK with that for the time being. That there are people interested enough to read is a wonderful bonus!

1 comment:

  1. I'm "playing along at home"! Well put :) I've never been good at blogging in that I don't post very often so kudos to you for keeping up with it! And all your other goals of course!

    ReplyDelete