Monday, October 25, 2010

Waste Not Want Not

One of the noticeable improvements in my household since I started on this adventure in August is a decrease in the amount of wasted food. I have mentioned how hard it is to shop and cook for one person and wasted food was an unfortunate byproduct of that struggle.

Now, since I am making a meal plan and a shopping list and sticking to that list like glue at the store I find there is very little waste in my weekly groceries.

Wasted food cannot be avoided altogether though and Americans waste a lot of food overall. If you think you are wasting food you might be able to salvage, read this Yahoo article for a few good tips on saving food before it goes bad.

In addition to these I also rotate my condiments, dairy and fruits and veggies so the oldest stuff gets used up first. I used to just toss new stuff in the fruit bowl on top of the old stuff, resulting in rotten apples and fruit flies.

Having less excess food in the house keeps the fridge and cabinets more organized too, so I can see what I have and eat it instead of opening the door to a jumbled mess I can't decipher and ordering a pizza.

At the end of the week my cupboards are a little bare, but all the easier to wipe them down and restock for the next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment