Monday, October 18, 2010

New Shoes -- A Girl's Best Friend

Yesterday I bought new sneakers. Like most girls, the idea of spending money on shoes is delightful, but in the budget arena there is not much room for clothing. I am considering factoring the sneakers into my medical budget as they are a crucial part of my healthy lifestyle.

I did not realize how worn out my current sneakers were until one of my knees started to bother me a week or so ago and I realized I was turning my foot when I walked because the infrastructure of my sneakers was shot. I had practically worn through the soles and could feel every pebble when I walked outside.

Visiting my parents this weekend afforded me the opportunity to shop at a variety of stores, much greater than the options in downtown Boston. On advice from a friend I wound up at Kohl's, which has a very extensive sneaker department with many high quality brands (Nike, Reebok, Asics, New Balance) and all the latest styles and trends.

That brings me to my great debate: To Tone or Not to Tone.


You have inevitably seen the new "toning sneakers" Sketchers Shape-Ups and Reebok Easytone being the most advertised. Most major brands now have a version of this sneaker and the ads are very enticing. Just walk and your legs and glutes will be toning the whole time! Could I possibly not have to do squats and lunges anymore?

These new sneakers are pricey, whether a result of the technology or their popularity who knows, but they run around $100 a pair. Kohl's had several versions on sale around $50 or $60 so I tried on a few pairs.

It was odd at first, it felt like I was standing on a rolling pin, the middle of my foot the only part on the ground. As I walked around the shoe department I didn't feel anything different, but I felt slightly off balance.

I can be very Hamlet-like when shopping, especially now where every dollar counts, and I debated a long time whether to give these sneakers a try. Ultimately I went with a solid pair of regular Nikes with no fancy technology. My reasoning involved fear, what if these sneakers ultimately cause me pain, what if the toning messes up my knee further, what if I trip over the unstable toe of the shoe and hurt myself. I am on such a roll at the gym now the idea of injury or set back is terrifying.

I bought my $50 Nikes, got them home, threw away my old busted up sneaks and slid my feet into sheer heaven. I felt taller (probably was since the sole wasn't worn down enough to read a newspaper through it), I walked straighter. I can't wait to get them on the treadmill today.

I might ask for a pair of Easytones for Christmas, but for now I erred on the side of tradition.

2 comments:

  1. Smart decision - you know what you are getting with these. Besides, it's not as if toning is impossible without them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ultimately I know you are right, but I am walking at least 3 miles a day plus my regular around town walking, seems like a waste of toning time. I will keep up the lunges for the time being...

    ReplyDelete