Thursday, October 14, 2010

Baby It's Cold Outside!

OK, it isn't freezing yet, but two nights ago the heat kicked on in my apartment. I like to call the 6 months the heat runs in my place the season of "eternal hellfire". I live in an old Boston apartment building, beautiful and charming in its oldness, but with serious heating issues.

Most people have a thermostat that they can regulate to create a comfortable level of heating. Not me. It is all or nothing around here, often resulting in tropical conditions complete with condensation on the windows.

My heat is included in my rent, so while I certainly pay for it I never see a monthly heating bill in the winter. I can gauge my air conditioner usage in the summer with my electric bill (and this year was a little high -- as were the temperatures), but I do not know how much energy I am using and wasting in the colder months.

And I do waste it, a lot of it, as it gets so hot in here I must open the windows or even turn on the AC to stand it. Discussions with my superintendent devolve into horror stories of replacing the entire heating and hot water system in a huge building and I shuffle off discouraged and sweaty.

Energy conservation is a big issue though, for your wallet and our planet. The Department of Energy has a website with simple tips to help you with your energy consumption and bills. Try to do a little extra for those of us in this urban slow cooker. And if you come visit during these months be sure to dress in layers, with your swimsuit handy, thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment