Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Perfect Bowl 1: Oatmeal

I enjoy my meals in bowls. I am not one of those people who hates it when their foods touch, often I mix things together any way. There is something comforting and soothing about a round warm bowl in your hands.

Despite today's 70 degree temps, I am going to kick off a series of posts for the fall and winter called "The Perfect Bowl". Some of these recipes (like today's) will be old standbys and some will be new attempts. If you have a recipe for something you put in a bowl, send it my way, I would love to try it out.

The Perfect Bowl: Oatmeal

I have never liked instant oatmeal. It always felt too mushy, too watery and sweet in a bad way. I was fooled into thinking that since they made instant oatmeal, regular oatmeal must be a grueling (ha, no pun intended) process. Wrong! Regular oatmeal can be made in 5 minutes and tastes so much better. I doctor mine up like this:

1 C. Water in small sauce pan until boiling, add
1/2 c. Old Fashioned Oats
1 T flax seed or chopped nuts
2 T dried cranberries
Several shakes of cinnamon
Drizzle honey

Stir and cook on low heat for 5 minutes. Serve with a drizzle of skim milk in a warm round bowl. Enjoy!

By adding the good fat in the flax seed or nuts you create a very satisfying breakfast with a good balance of carbs and fat and oatmeal is good for your heart (and I care about your heart).

No comments:

Post a Comment