Thursday, October 21, 2010

Choose Love

I don't intend for this blog to be a political soap box, but yesterday I was struck with a profound moment of realization that affects one of my blogs topics, so here goes...

Yesterday was National Wear Purple or National Spirit Day to support LGBT youth in America. Recently there have been several suicides in the young gay community as a result of bullying. Universally bullying has become a big issue in society, but in direct relation to young people struggling with their sexual identity it is resulting in frequent tragedy.

I have always been a strong ally of the gay community. I have many friends who are gay, but in my mind they are just people. People deserve the same amount of love and respect regardless of their race, religion, political views (this one is hard for me sometimes) and who they happen to love.

It seems, in this country these days, it is OK to discriminate against homosexuals though. It is fine to fire someone (or not hire someone) because they are gay. It is acceptable and encouraged to deprive gay couples of the right to marry and it is certainly acceptable to speak cruelly to them in school.

Overweight people can get married, but those other 2 things, job discrimination and blatant public cruelty, happen to us too. I have never had a problem getting a job, but I was taunted mercilessly in junior high and high school for being overweight. I was able to compensate in certain ways, I excelled at academics, I was willing to put myself out there for band and theatre knowing the mocking would come, but doing it anyway, thanks to some good friends and great educators.

Like homosexuality, being overweight is seen by many as a choice. You must be lazy or ignorant to be fat, when for many it is the last thing in the world they want to be. If I could have woken up one day and known how to be skinny, my life would have been so much easier. If I could have changed my brain and my metabolism and my genetics and been thin I would have picked that in a heartbeat.

These aren't choices, these are the people we are: gay, fat, bald, black... when is it OK to taunt and tease and when is it socially unacceptable? These aren't choices, but hate, hate is a choice. I can understand being uncomfortable and avoiding someone if you don't relate to their lifestyle, you are missing out, but I understand. I do not understand taking that inability to relate to someone and turning it into cruel words and violent actions.

We are all people, here for a very short time on this planet, isn't easier and more fulfilling to love one another.

1 comment: