Monday, October 4, 2010

Chili Time

So whether I like it or not, it is fall. Baseball season is over. It is time for chili. Chili can be a healthy, filling, nutrient-dense one pot meal I can make on the weekend and eat from for several days without getting too bored.

Here's my chili recipe.

Annmarie's Tasty Turkey Chili

Brown 1 lb lean ground turkey in a big pan (can use lean beef, soy nuggets or just veggies)
Season with chili powder, cumin, garlic, red pepper flake & salt
Chop and add 1 yellow onion and 1 green bell pepper
Add 1 can black beans
Add 1 can kidney beans
Add 1 can diced tomatoes
Add 1 can pureed tomatoes
Season again and let simmer until thick and delicious.

I do not use any oil in my chili prep so this is a very lean dish of warm goodness. This makes 6 servings at approx 350 calories and 6 g fat.

The trouble with chili comes in garnishing it. I sprinkle 1 T low fat shredded cheddar on mine, which adds a few calories and a couple grams of fat. I skip the sour cream (although I have heard fat free Greek yogurt does the trick too) and if I want some crunchy on the side I make my own pita chips instead of tortillas that have been fried.

This is an affordable, quick yummy recipe that I love to make in this kind of weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment