Saturday, October 30, 2010

Book Note: The Art of Eating In


You will see I am calling this a book note and not a book review as, being completely honest, I did not finish this book. I did think it was a book some of you might be interested in though, so I felt it worthy of mention.

The Art of Eating In: How I Learned to Stop Spending and Love the Stove by Cathy Erway would seem to be the perfect book for me and while the concept grabbed my attention the writing slogged on in a way I could not get through. I do have friends who have read and enjoyed this book, so please don't take my word as deciding factor.

This book started as a blog (and I can certainly get behind that) and I think I would enjoy it more as such, smaller snippets of ideas and recipes.

Erway was living in New York City and lamenting how much money she spent on food prepared outside of her home, sometimes not even very good food and vowed to not eat out for 2 years. She had exceptions for work events, vacations and family celebrations, but other than that she prepared everything at home.

The opening scene of Erway and 2 friends at a crappy Beer Garden in Brooklyn was easily accessible. How often do we sit in a restaurant and pay upwards of $20 for not-very-good beer and a sandwich we could have made better and more to our liking at home?

I am not willing to take on Erway's challenge, I have enough challenges in my life right now, but I definitely think much more before I eat out or get take out about whether this is cost effective and in my own interest nutrition-wise.

No comments:

Post a Comment