Thursday, March 3, 2011

Six Months Without Credit Cards

Time, while a universal invariant (as I learned from Dana Scully), seems relative in a lot of ways. The 31 days in January seem a lot longer than the 31 in July. So it was with confusion that I realized last night that it has been six months since I gave up my credit cards.

I am happy to report that life has been going just fine without them. I survived Christmas and have really learned to reign in my shopping impulses. I am not perfect, but I am a lot better.

A few things helped along the way. First, having a debit card with a credit card logo allows me to do all the credit card fun things, like shop online, without wracking up the debt. I do technically have a credit card, it just takes the money from my checking account. Also, as I mentioned recently, gift cards are my friends. I have had the pleasure of some personal shopping thanks to gift cards from the holidays. I am far from deprived.

The only time over the 6 months when I truly noticed my lack of plastic was when I was traveling, particularly to Chicago in December during a snowstorm. I knew that if my flight was canceled coming home I was in trouble as I had very little cash prior to pay day and no safety net Amex in my purse. Luckily that did not happen and since then I have built up my savings enough that I would be able to access enough cash for a hotel in that situation now, but at the time it was a little tense.

I am really surprised by how easily I have lived without credit cards. The biggest reason for that is controlling my monthly spending, both on credit card payments through my DMP and my household budget. I have yet to feel really broke.

I wish the six month diet report was as glowing....

No comments:

Post a Comment