Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Quick Fixes

Sure, dieting is supposed to be all about whole foods and organic this and raw that, but sometimes that is not realistic. Say for example, when you are working 12 hour days and you only get about 30 minutes to eat.

Sometimes we need a quick fix meal to get us through our busy lives. I grew up on Kraft Mac & Cheese, but the powdered cheese doesn't cut it for me any more. Now my go to mac & cheese is the Velveeta 2%. I am not deluding myself into thinking it is healthy, the cheese is a color not found in nature and it is shelf-stable, but it is lower in fat than almost all of the other macs & cheeses on the market and it is ready in 10 minutes.

Frozen pizza is another go-to. I absolutely love all of Trader Joe's frozen pizzas and although their fat and calories rival any other on the market they are all-natural and actually made with cheese. They are also ready in 10 minutes.

I read this article today on the worst grocery store foods. I am a sucker for the Eat This, Not That phenomena and David Zincenko is pretty cute. This is a good cheat sheet on some of the quick fix meals out there that are scary bad and gives you some better options.

I cannot imagine a day when I will not have to rely on convenience food for a small portion of my diet. Should I win the lottery and never have to work again I promise to never eat anything freeze-dried, shrink wrapped or frozen, ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment