Thursday, March 10, 2011

Bring Out Your Leg Warmers

This is not a fashion blog and I am not a fashion maven by any stretch, but I saw this article on Wisebread.com and it inspired me. Spring is coming, it may not feel like it today, but it will be here soon.

While I will, luckily, need to buy some smaller clothes I am not in a position to replace my wardrobe. The concept of buying simple, easily interchangeable wardrobe pieces and dressing them up with accessories is very appealing to me.

Even more appealing, I own a lot of accessories already and don't put them to very good use. So next week's challenge is to dig through the closet and the drawers for the cute bracelets, scarves, purses and headbands and put them in an easy-to-find spot.

I have a couple friends that are pros at accessorizing and I try to take inspiration from them. It is a very budget-conscious way to spice up your look. Accessories do not have to be particularly well made, if you can pull of a $2 headband from CVS do it, your hair won't fall out if it is plastic.

Another budget-friendly idea: Accessory Swap Meet. One girl's gaudy is another girl's gorgeous.

Everyone has that broach that your mother's friend gave you for Christmas. You have it tucked in the back of your jewelry box, too guilty to throw it away since it was a gift.

Or better yet, you impulse buy this giant ring with a big red glass stone that you love, but you have elfin hands and it looks like some sort of strange dermatological problem on you, but your friend with the long lithe fingers carries it off beautifully. Clean out your stash and offer up the unwanted, odds are it will look fabulous on someone else!

4 comments:

  1. An accessory swap is a great idea - we should have one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! The next GNO/I should include an accessory swap meet :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the accessory swap idea A LOT! Plus it sounds like that red ring story is based on a true life experience?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, the red ring used to belong to me and it now belongs to Lauren. It looks gorgeous on her.

    ReplyDelete