Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Watching Other People Lose Weight

I have already blogged about The Biggest Loser. I do continue to watch it from time to time On Demand and enjoy the finale when you get to see them all glammed up, but a couple new weight loss shows have hit the air in 2011 and I am going to tune in and see what they are like.

The first one has already begun and it is on MTV, yep going back to MTV, no more Alan Hunter and I am already sick of Jersey Shore just from the commercials, but the new show I Used to Be Fat has proven to be quite good.

This show focuses on 1 teenager a week, although 2 of the episodes had 18 year olds who had just graduated from high school, and follows them over the course of last summer as they worked with a trainer to lose serious amounts of weight.

Now a teenager's metabolism is firing on all cylinders and I do not watch for tips for myself, but the emotional issues of overweight teens is something I greatly sympathize with and I have found the stories very touching. I give MTV props for making this show very real and not too flashy, I hope it helps other teens.

Last night A&E premiered their new show Heavy. I have it sitting on the DVR but did not watch it last night. I actually saw a trailer for this show at the movie theatre. It is not a game show like The Biggest Loser, it follows 2 people each week through their full transformations, so you get the gratification of seeing their results every week. The people shown in the trailer were severely overweight, so the emotional impact of this show is bound to be off the charts.

I'm not convinced that watching other people lose weight actually inspires me, The Biggest Loser has been on for 6 years. While it is comforting to know I am not alone in this struggle it is also disheartening to know how many people struggle and fail with this issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment