Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Support System Part 3

I've talked about friends and loved ones the past couple days, both the good and the bad. Today I want to talk about the nearest and dearest people in our lives. Your nearest and dearest may vary: spouse, parents, siblings or childhood bestie. This is the person or people you feel closest to and who love you unconditionally.

For me it is my parents. I have a great relationship with both my mom and my dad, they provided all the tools I needed to become strong and independent. They taught me that my mind was my greatest asset and assured me I could do anything I wanted. I love them so very much.

Because I love them so much it is hard sometimes for me to tell them how unhappy or scared I become over my debt or my weight. I don't want them to know that I feel I have failed both myself and them. They have provided such great support and they love me no matter what, but the thought of letting them down has paralyzed me.

When I started on this plan I told them, in the most positive cheerleader way that I was making some changes, looking ahead to the future and trying to become the best me I could. They are 100% supportive, both of them trying to fight the food issues too and as they look towards retirement not opposed to budgeting either.

My parents have always helped me financially when needed, and I try very hard not to need it. When I started the debt management program this summer I had to make double credit card payments so I didn't go delinquent while the accounts were being set up. My parents jumped in and covered my student loan bill for a couple months to get me going. Over the years little things like that have made my life easier, but their greatest financial contribution often comes in the form of gifts, clothes or things like that that make my life a little bit nicer.

I know that my parents love me, that love keeps me going some days and it is as much for them as for myself that I am doing this. Failure is not an option.

1 comment: