Monday, January 31, 2011

Bulk Bin Bonanza

Ever wanted to try quinoa or wheat berries, but not willing to invest in a large expensive container? Try the bulk bins in Whole Foods or other natural grocery stores!

Whole Foods gets a wrap for being "too expensive" and it can be very pricey for certain items, but the glory of the bulk bin is you can buy as much as you want (or as little).

Only need a cup of cous cous for a recipe? Get it at the bulk bin for less than a dollar.

The bigger the store the more options you may be able to get, trail mix, nuts, dried fruit and other treats.

What is your favorite bulk bin item?

3 comments:

  1. When I used to shop at a place with bulk bins, I loved the spice ones. I like trying to cook with different spices, but who wants to buy an entire container of cardamom or saffron?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I wish mine had spices, but alas it does not. I would love to find a place that sells spices like this though, because you are absolutely right. There is a spice shop up in Salem, but that is a bit of a ride for some saffron...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wild Harvest in Medford (or maybe its Somerville) is where I used to go. It's been years, so I don't know if it is still around. It's also not easily accessible.

    ReplyDelete