Thursday, January 27, 2011

My New Favorite Machine at the Gym

This is my new favorite machine at the gym. It is the Arc Trainer and like the elliptical before it, it intimidated me for a long time.

I had only ever seen really fit girls using it and I figured it was out of my league. Then I noticed they were using them on this season of The Biggest Loser and thought I might be wrong.

During one of last week's cataclysmic winter weather events I went to the gym and it was practically empty. It was the perfect time to risk injury and humiliation (you know which one hurts more right?). So I hopped on, fiddled with the buttons, selected a 20 minute "Weight Loss" workout (do the others not help you lose weight?) at level 3 of 10 and turned up my Ipod.

I am pretty sure you are not supposed to hang on for dear life like I did and I probably mitigated some of the benefit by not going hands-free, but the second I took my hands off the multiple sets of handles (why so many handles if you aren't supposed to use them?) I nearly toppled over.

There is a great variety of both resistance and incline, which apparently works different large muscle groups creating a better calorie burn than the treadmill or even my newly-beloved elliptical machine. I definitely got a good workout, I was challenged but not debilitated (which is the fine line I try to walk at the gym).

So far 20 minutes is my limit, but I burned as many calories (if those things can be trusted) as I did in 25 or 30 on the elliptical and treadmill respectively. I am all for efficiency!

2 comments:

  1. Ok, that thing looks like it belongs on a spaceship. Scary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is kind of scary and I do have to hold on for dear life, but I can do it!

    ReplyDelete