Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Holiday Gifts

For a girl on a budget a gift is a lovely thing. A new beautiful book to add to my personal library, some extra luxurious bath products to supplement the ones bought on sale at CVS, new clothes that do not have to be tallied in the annual clothing budget, these things add a little sparkle to my life.

With the holidays just about wrapped up I was reflecting on my bounty of delightful gifts and thinking how pleased I was with how they compliment my new lifestyle. My loved ones invested in my hobbies, providing books and knitting supplies to fill my winter with productive projects. My mother/Santa bought me new smaller clothes to fit my different shape and my company gave me the gift of a sizable Amex gift card to do some fun shopping.

I miss shopping for the fun of it. Living on a budget I justify every dollar I spend these days and I can't just run out and buy a DVD or a pair of earrings without jotting it in the journal. Unlike with food, I can control my shopping though, and having this gift card allowed me a splurge that I can reign in once it is gone.

I was methodical with how I spent it, renewing my MFA membership and investing in a Nook for years of entertainment. I also bought some frivolous things, I really needed Season 13 of the Simpsons, it has Ralph Wiggum on the cover!

When this weekend is over and the last of my holiday celebrations through I will return to my very strict budget with many new and beautiful things to keep me company for the long New England winter. Maybe that is why we have Christmas in winter, you need something to get you through January and February...

No comments:

Post a Comment