Monday, February 28, 2011

Planning for a Rainy Day

Hey, it's raining out.... That is simply a coincidence. This post is about planning for a rainy day or a special occasion.

I just read a reader tip in one of my financial newsletters that resonated with me. This woman buys a small grocery store gift card every pay day (she did not say for how much, but I imagine it would vary depending on your own budget) and tucks it away for special occasions, holidays birthdays etc. when the grocery bill includes a bunch of extras.

I have mentioned the use of gift cards to assist in budgeting in the past. I have squirrelled away a couple from Christmas that I intend to use in the spring, but I really like this idea too.

If you have a really good week at the store, lots of coupons or a great sale on staples, spend the difference in your budgeted grocery money on a gift card. This will insure that you use that saved money on future groceries and not on candy and magazines.

Planning ahead for those festive occasions will take the sting out of the bill and keep the focus on the fun.

Also, holding on to a gift card for the movies or dinner can make a boring month a lot more interesting. Like finding $5 in your coat pocket, finding a gift card in your desk months after the holidays will brighten a dreary day, like say, this one.

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! I've read a lot of budget articles, and it's great when you get a new and refreshing idea like this one. The stores make it easy, too, because they are right at the register.

    ReplyDelete