Monday, February 7, 2011

Fight Your Cravings, No Seriously Fight Them

A University of Chicago Marketing Department study shows that when self-control is tested, tightening your muscles will help you make the more disciplined choice.

They advise that when faced with a food temptation you should make a fist and the muscle tension will snap you into the healthier choice. They say you must do it right at the moment of decision and which muscles you tighten don't matter.

I like the fist idea though, like you are going to punch that temptation right in the kisser. I fear if I begin doing this in public though I will get into lots of scuffles with pastry chefs and McDonald's employees.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I had read this before going into the staff room this morning. But I think there are still brownies, so I'll try it next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure of the physiology of this, but I can see the association of doing something repetitively to replace an urge. If oyu made a habit of it I could see it working to some extent.

    ReplyDelete