Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Wash That Water Bottle

Reusable water bottles are a no brainer in this day and age. There are so many options and really high quality ones for not a ton of money (and think of all the money you save on buying bottled water). From an eco-friendly/budget-friendly perspective get yourself a reusable water bottle.

I use a metal one, but there are great BPA-free hard plastic ones too. Do your research and go buy one for yourself for Valentine's Day.

Once you are in the habit of using one, remember to wash it. I am no germa-phobe, I live in a city and I often touch grimy gross things and I ride public transportation! I washed my water bottle maybe once a month. I figure I only put water in it and I'm the only one who uses it, how dirty can it be?

Well, the answer is...very. Germs and other little critters love dark, warm wet places and manage to latch on to anything. They prefer crevices, so try to get a water bottle that is smooth and doesn't have too may ridges. Wash the bottle with hot soapy water at least once a week, more if you put anything other than water in it or you leave it with water in it for any extended period of time.

My water bottle has never made me sick, but it would be a terrible irony if I got some bug from this source of wellness.

No comments:

Post a Comment