Monday, February 14, 2011

What We Get From Our Parents

I have mentioned on this blog that my parents are quite awesome, and they are, but genetics are genetics and as I age I fear the things I may end up dealing with from my particular DNA donors.

There is high blood pressure and diabetes on my dad's side and my mother is a breast cancer survivor (although the history started with her). Currently I am beginning to fear my gall bladder. Every woman on my mother's side of the family had hers removed by the age of 45.

I remember my grandmother having awful gall bladder attacks when I was a kid. And this weekend I suffered some pretty serious pain, that I think might have been an early warning sign that mine is on the fritz too.

Gall bladder attacks are brought on by fatty foods and I did indulge on Saturday, perhaps it was the shock to the system after months of fairly healthy eating or perhaps it was timing or perhaps it wasn't my gall bladder at all, but some other random organ malfunctioning, but I was in a lot of pain for about 5 hours.

With all my talk of motivation, pain is a good one for me, and I promised myself there would be a re-commitment to healthy meal planning this week. If for no other reason than the budget is not quite ready to cover the deductible on surgery...

No comments:

Post a Comment