Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Lay Off, Limbaugh

I try not to make this blog political, those of you that know me know my politics and for the most part my politics do not infiltrate the topics of this blog. Yesterday they did.

Rush Limbaugh, the Conservative windbag that he is, decided to pick on my girl Michelle Obama about her diet. The article made the rounds, here is Yahoo's version, and it is just beyond ridiculous.

Limbaugh is calling the First Lady out as a hypocrite for promoting her Let's Move anti-obesity platform while occasionally indulging in treats like ribs in Colorado and a bevy of sausage at a Superbowl party.

Limbaugh claims that despite all her talk the First Lady does not appear to be ready to grace the cover of Sports Illustrated's swimsuit issue. Seriously Limbaugh? Gah!

Michelle Obama is no waif, she is tall and toned and damn if I wouldn't kill for her body. She is not a swimsuit model, but what does that say about swimsuit models? Mrs. Obama is a healthy woman promoting a lifestyle that encourages healthful foods and exercise, not a militant no snack zone.

The difference between her platform and Nancy Reagan's "Just Say No to Drugs" (as discussed last night amongst friends) is that the issue of food and nutrition and healthy living is much broader, it is not nearly so cut and dry. If Limbaugh had caught Nancy Regan using cocaine that would have been a story, Michelle Obama having ribs is not a story.

I am convinced the right wing radio jockeys are grasping at straws with the Obamas. They are chomping at the bit for a shred of scandal in this family and it has not been the case. So they nitpick the President for smoking and the First Lady for not being emaciated and call it a productive news day.

(And I will not get into a lengthy explanation of why Rush Limbaugh calling someone else a hypocrite is in itself hypocritical, my head might just explode.)

Well, I got your back Michelle, and I would really like to have your arms....

1 comment:

  1. Let's also not forget that Mrs. Obama has also had two babies and a career. I'd love to Rush to deal with those hormones and see how his mind and body comes out on the other end. A healthy lifestyle also involves a healthy attitude and relationship with food, and she clearly seems to have that.

    ReplyDelete