Friday, December 17, 2010

Healthy on Aisle 4!

Eating well is not an easy undertaking. As I have written it has taken me months to get in the habit of making meal plans and writing shopping lists. Often I will go to more than 1 grocery store to do my shopping, this works for me for a number of reasons:

First, I live in the city and have no car, so I am limited to the amount of groceries I can buy in one trip. If I am making multiple trips any way it doesn't matter which stores I go to on each trip. I have a Shaw's, a Trader Joe's and a Whole Foods all equidistant from my apartment.

Next, if I am making a list and sticking to it I can divide the list up by what is best and most convenient at each stop. I do not need to browse, browsing leads to cookies.

Finally, each store has value in different departments. Household items are definitely cheaper at mainstream stores, produce is a better investment at Whole Foods, cereal, yogurt and other dairy is a steal at Trader Joe's so I can work my budget while working my shopping lists.

Yahoo posted an article from Health.com the other day on the healthiest grocery stores in America. Whole Foods and TJs made the list! What I love about them is the incredible lack of temptation, even if I cave and get cookies at one of these places I know they are devoid of artificial crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment