Thursday, December 2, 2010

Elliptically Challenged

I have belonged to a gym for about 7 years now, off and on. The frequency of my visits has varied greatly, but one thing remained the same. I was terrified of this thing:


The elliptical machine seemed like too much for "unfit" me. I wasn't coordinated enough, my arms and legs couldn't possibly move at the same time. I tried it, oh how I tried it, numerous times, usually with embarrassing results and always with me winded and in terrible pain after 5 minutes or so.

This week, due to the unexplained pain in my foot, the treadmill has not been my friend. The repetitive impact of walking is very difficult, mostly because I never know which step is going to hurt and when it hurts it is star-seeing pain.

On Monday I did a thorough strength and conditioning workout, but didn't feel right skipping the cardio all together. So I decided to try the elliptical again, it has been a couple years.

Luckily the gym was practically empty and if I had to hop off less than 5 minutes after starting it wouldn't have been too humiliating. I set it to manual and level 5 for 10 minutes and started off. The motion was much more fluid and caused very little pain in my ankle (which was the point) and after 5 minutes I was not winded and while my legs felt it in different places I was not seeing stars.

The 10 minutes elapsed and I did the 3 minute cool down. A 13 minute cardio workout won't cut it regularly, but since I was planning on no cardio that was an improvement. Yesterday I did 20 minutes without a problem.

I don't know what has changed, I certainly am no more coordinated than I was a few years ago, but maybe I am a little fitter.

2 comments:

  1. Um, you are a fitness machine! You've been working out nearly every day for 100 posts now, that comes out to more than 3 months of consistent work outs, woman! No more will the treadmill be scary. You have really transformed yourself into a different person. I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete