Saturday, December 18, 2010

Credit Card Roulette

While standing in one of many long lines yesterday (is the economy coming back maybe?) I watched a woman ahead of me do something I have done many times in the past 15 years: she tried and failed to pay for her purchase with a revolving handful of credit cards.

It was painful to watch, although certainly not uncommon, everyone in line in front of me paid for their purchase with a credit card (although granted some could have been debit cards), when I handed the cashier cash she seemed flummoxed.

I used to play my credit cards like slot machines, paying a little more on one over the others at bill time so I would have some credit to shop with and then checking all the balances and using whichever one fit the purchase I was trying to make. It was a ton of work and exhausting and stressful.

This holiday season has been exhausting and stressful also, but the difference is, when it is over the stress will be too. I will not be getting any credit card bills in January to add to the doldrums of winter. I have had to budget very tightly to make Christmas work this year, but I did and even have a little money for fun things this week. I never want to be that woman again.

No comments:

Post a Comment