Wednesday, December 29, 2010

57 Books in 52 Weeks

So yesterday I tallied up my books for 2010. It was a great reading year for me, some really wonderful novels came into my life and a smattering of non-fiction (more than normal, but not quite enough) peppered the list.

This is not exactly on theme with this blog, but I did notice an interesting budget point here. I read 57 books this year and only purchased 5 (and 3 of those were impulse buys while on a business trip). That means I read 52 books this year (1 a week) that were either a gift, borrowed from a friend or taken out of the library. That is a year's worth of free entertainment and knowledge, how cool!

Here, in no particular order, are my 10 favorite books read this year:

Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok (hands down my over all favorite)
The Passage by Justin Cronin
Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery
The Annunciation of Francesca Dunn by Janis Hallowell
One Day by David Nichols
Little Bee by Chris Cleaver
Map of True Places by Brunonia Barry
Fly Away Home by Jennifer Weiner
Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane

On my list for 2011 are some daunting tomes, including War & Peace (yes, I will really use it as more than a door stop this year) and a few voluminous works of history. Perhaps I can combine my workouts with my reading and just do exercises with the books....

1 comment:

  1. I'm absolutely honored to have GIRL IN TRANSLATION be your favorite book read in 2010! Thank you!

    Best,
    Jean

    ReplyDelete