Friday, December 3, 2010

Free Things to Do

OK, I know I talk about the joys of the library a lot and I know how lucky I am that my local branch is the main branch of the Boston Public Library but even I am uncovering more and wondrous aspects of library life.

Last night I attended a panel discussion on Emily Dickinson. As many of you know, Emily has been a big part of my personal and academic life for over 20 years. The evening was arranged by Sam Cornish, Poet Laureate of Boston (had no idea such a position existed!). Sam admitted to falling in love with Emily late in life and he was trying to make up for lost time.

The panel was 4 poets, who read works about or inspired by Emily, a mystery novelist who sets one of her series in Western, MA and Emily's genealogy makes an appearance and a professor from UMass Amherst who teaches Emily. It was a casual, fun evening of discussion, all for free in the gorgeous McKim Building of the BPL right in Copley Square.

I confess to having not really exploring the BPL very well. I go to the Johnson Building (where the regular collection is held) do my business, notice the revolving exhibits and leave. In heading over to the event last night I traveled through the gorgeous courtyard, that even in the dark was breathtaking, and into this wonderfully beautiful building.

Yesterday on Facebook the BPL posted that they offer free art & architecture tours 6 times a week. I had no idea. Upon leaving last night I saw a sign about the tours with schedules. Tuesday and Thursday the tour is at 6:00 pm and while there is a tour on Saturday and Sunday the 3rd floor is not accessible on those days, so I am going to go next Thursday at 6:00. I definitely want to see more.

This will make 2 Thursdays in a row where I got out of my house (working from home in the winter is really depressing), interacted with other people, learned something and did it all for free.

I know lots of librarians and these events happen at all libraries. Event he small town library in my hometown had an open house a couple weeks back and they frequently have children's events. Bookmark your libraries website and keep an eye out for events near you!

1 comment:

  1. Sam Cornish is a fine poet and great guy--Boston should be glad to have him! Doug Holder/Ibbetson Street Press

    ReplyDelete