Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Small Victories

If you are female you know the mind games involved in ladies' clothing sizes. You really need an engineering degree from MIT to understand why some size 14 pants fit and some don't, shouldn't they all fit the same?

Because women are not uniformly shaped like men, we cannot measure our clothing in inches with any real precision leading to a sliding scale of sizes that sometimes empower and often discourage the larger woman.

Women's clothes are segregated in to Misses and Women's, with the latter being for the bigger gals.

I had an encouraging moment this weekend. After the bathing suit stress I went in search of a pair of khaki capris. I did not see anything I liked in the Women's Dept. Bolstered by my mother I grabbed a pair from the Misses Department and sure enough, they fit! I also got a couple of shirts in Misses.

It is a small victory in a bigger battle, but it gave me hope. It also inspired me to keep off the weight I lost, I do not want to end up back in the Women's Department.

1 comment:

  1. Hooray for nice surprises! There was an article in Sunday's NYT on this clothing size problem. It mentions a business that offers a free body scan and gives you a list of stores and what size you would be in their range.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/25/business/25sizing.html?_r=2&ref=fashion

    ReplyDelete