Monday, April 25, 2011

Dressing Room Drama

I got a bathing suit for Easter. Seems a little odd, right? Here is how it happened: my mother and I made a "no candy" pledge for Easter. In the past we have made little baskets for one another with gift cards and candy and bath stuff and candy and candles and candy. You get the picture. This year, no candy!

In lieu of a basket of any kind my mother offered to buy me a new bathing suit. So off we went in the pouring rain and 40 degree New England spring day to find a decent bathing suit before they are all back ordered and the winter coats are out.

We went to Sears to get a Lands End suit, pricey but worth it. I had the Lands End bathing suit catalog and figured I could try some on and if I didn't like the styles in the store I would at least know what size to order (and you can order right at Sears, get free shipping to your house and if the catalog price is less than the store price and you buy it in the store they will price match to the lower price, woo hoo!)

I grabbed no less than 10 bathing suits in 2 different sizes and trudged into the dressing room. It was painful, there were tears involved, but in the end I selected a bathing suit and my mother bought it for me.

I have never let my feelings about my body keep me out of a bathing suit. I love the beach, I love to swim and I love the sun so I generally get over it, but the harsh lighting and full length mirrors illustrated how much further I still have to go.

There was some good dressing room news though, more on that tomorrow....

1 comment:

  1. Dressing rooms are the worst. I've never understood why they are designed to make us look horrible in everything. Wouldn't it be more profitable to make us look GOOD in everything so we buy more?

    ReplyDelete