Wednesday, May 4, 2011

An Ode to Peanut Butter

Oh peanut butter with your protein and heart healthy mono-unsaturated fats, who I love thee!

Peanut butter is an affordable and delicious form of protein and good fat. It fills you up and gives you energy while doing your body good.

Obviously there are tons of people who cannot eat peanut butter due to allergies and there are good options (not quite as affordable) like soy butter, almond butter (if you only have a peanut allergy and not a tree nut allergy), sunflower seed butter and more.

My issue with peanut butter is portion size. I can easily over eat peanut butter and I always measure it out so I know exactly how much fat and how many calories I am adding to my meal.

Try to avoid low fat peanut butter, generally the fat is replaced with added sugar or chemicals and since the fat in peanut butter is of the good variety try to cut your fat in other areas.

Currently a favorite breakfast of mine is 2 low fat whole grain waffles with 1 Tablespoon of natural peanut butter, delicious and filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment