Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Did You Eat Your Wheaties?

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. This age old lesson passed down from grandma is actually pretty true. What you eat for breakfast jump starts your day, gives you the energy to be active and turns on your metabolism.

Studies show that people who skip breakfast eat more calories in the day than those who eat a healthy nourishing breakfast.

So this piece from my pal David Zincenko of Eat This, Not That caught my eye. Some of the items on this list are no-brainers (Chocolate Chip Pop Tarts, um even I know that isn't a good choice), but others are more deceptive. Take a look and see if you are falling into marketing traps?

It is easy to fall in a breakfast rut and realize you have been eating Cheerios for 47 days in a row. I try to switch it up at least every 2 weeks. What do you eat for breakfast? Can I steal your ideas?

2 comments:

  1. I like to make a batch of steel-cut oats on the weekend and microwave it daily, adding honey, bananas, and walnuts. This is especially cozy in the winter. Recently I've been eating cereal though, Kashi with rice milk. It's getting boring though so I think I need to switch it up again. I like your waffles and peanut butter idea! I also like egg-based breakfasts but it requires a little more time in the mornings so I usually keep that to weekends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I eat muesli with 2% milk every weekday morning - and on the weekends, I usually have quaker oats from the large canister. (mixed with raisins, little brown sugar & milk... mmmm).

    I do not tire of the sameness. I will probably eat muesli until the day I die. I might start bringing some peanut butter to work though... I like it.

    ReplyDelete