Sunday, August 22, 2010

Sunday Recap

So I decided that I would use Sunday as a recap of the week. Discuss any successes and failures the week has brought and look aheads to next week.

Budget: I completed my first week on a budget and did very well. Overspent a little on groceries, but underspent on generic household items, a statistical tie as it were. I organized all my non-perishables and started a list and inventory to keep those things in stock when on sale and successfully budgeted a tiny amount of savings for the week.

Diet: Worked out 5 days (Mon - Fri). Four in the gym and 1 outside on a gorgeous day. I ate very well Mon - Fri and have indulged in a couple of treats this weekend. I met my weight goal for week one.

Mood: I felt great this week. I was productive and forward-thinking for the first time in a long time. I don't doubt the "what-ifs" and "if-onlys" will find their way into my life again, but they don't do any good. You cannot change your past, but you can change your present. A visit with my parents this weekend was the perfect follow-up to last weekend's visit with dear friends.

This week starts out with some excitement and then I hope it tapers off to another productive week with more organizing and the beginning of some recipe experimenting.

Thank you all for your support, getting this blog off the ground was a big step for me and I am thrilled with the response so far.

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on a great week one all around - the blog looks awesome and I'm finding it inspiring for me as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on a successful first week! I'm sure that chronicling your successes will be a motivator in itself. Wishing you a great week 2!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder what thoughts you have on my dilemma about shopping. I have a weekly budget and I do all of my shopping at one time. (No backpacks for me). My problem is, I work household necessities into my grocery budget. So every now and then it seems like I need everything household all at once. Like sponges, paper towels, soap, shampoo (not for me), toothpaste, etc... Then I only have half of the money for food. (Side note: I look forward to the Ramen comparison). I suppose I could budget that stuff separately, but who knows how much of it I'll need and when. And there's the problem of not having any more money to budget it separately. So I have no ideas. Do you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I luckily do have a separate budget for household items, but regardless a good plan is to inventory what you use on a regular basis and try to stock up on things on sale so you are not stuck buying everything at once at full price.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you have a smart phone you can keep that inventory on your phone and keep better track of what you need and when you need it. Granted any sort of smart phone is probably a little less fiscally responsible. It does really make life easier by saving time in addition to a little money by not buying what you don't need.

    ReplyDelete