Friday, August 20, 2010

Balancing Act

Life is a balancing act. This is not news, we are constantly torn between what we want to do and what we have to do. Most of us have to work, probably at a job that causes us some angst (and if you love your job all the time know how very lucky you are). We have to clean our living spaces, we have to pay our bills (whether we want to or not). If all you do are these things than life will be one long tedious day.

I live alone which makes this balancing both easier and harder. I do not have a husband or kids that I have to help balance, but there is no one to help me balance myself. I must remember to take small moments and enjoy them.

Living in Boston, I can get on public transportation and be at the ocean in just about 30 minutes and believe me that is my respite of choice. When time or weather does not allow I can skip down the street (have you ever seen me skip? It is a thing of beauty) to this little gem:

This is Ramler Park and it is 3 blocks from my apartment. There is an amazing fountain that attracts the cutest little birds, nice benches and picnic tables as well as grassy areas to stretch out and read.

Yesterday I planned to go to the gym at lunch, but it turned out to be a gorgeous day and summer is waning, so I took my book and laid on the grass. I promised myself (since there is no one else to promise) that I would go to the gym after work (and I did!).

There has to be some reward in life, some time to escape and reflect. I am so lucky to live so close to this beautiful spot. You will see me mention it a lot. In fact, tonight I am having a picnic there with a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment