Thursday, August 19, 2010

Before and After

So a couple days ago I suggested in the Tip of the Day Column to the right to clean out your space. I can't expect people to adopt my tips if I don't follow through myself. So I took 3 spaces in my apartment and emptied them out and organized.

I live in a 1 bedroom apartment, storage is at a premium, but I have managed to find cabinet and drawer space to keep a nice supply of non-perishable items on hand so I am never running out and paying full price for something in a moment of hair care-related panic.

First, my bottom dresser drawer where I keep all my personal care products. On Tuesday it looked like this:


Now, after 10 minutes of sorting and organizing, it looks like this:



And in the process I found brand new bottles of conditioner, shampoo and really high end face wash I forgot I had!

I have a big cabinet in the kitchen, that looked like this:



And now...


Look at all those reusable containers (with lids!) perfect for saving healthy left overs, good for both the budget and the diet! Although I must admit for someone on a diet I own an awful lot of muffin tins, but I am not willing to throw them out just yet, baby steps...

Finally, my desk was a disaster. What girl on a budget can be expected to manager her finances when her desk looks like this:



While watching DVD episodes of Party of Five (having Matthew Fox withdrawal post-Lost) I fixed this mess up to resemble a grown-up person's desk:



Found almost a whole book of stamps, with current postage even!

Total this project took less than an hour. I was able to take an inventory of what I had on hand for personal care products and what I need to buy right away and what can wait until I find it on sale. I have tons of useful kitchen items at hand to facilitate a more healthful cooking and eating environment and I have a calm organized work space to handle all my bills.

Don't get me wrong there is still tons to clean and organize around here (do not open the hall closet it will kill you), but just having these 3 spaces organized has made me calmer.

7 comments:

  1. I have always found that when my things are neat and organized, I am much better prepared to tackle the next level of issues.
    Clean food cabinets are easier to stock with good food. Knowing what you have is a great way to see what you don't need. I always say that if you don't buy it, you won't see it and can't eat it. And if I do see it and shouldn't have it...well eat it now so it isn't there anymore! That may be bad advice. But it's not my blog, so that's okay, right?
    Also, a neat desk is a great way to make it easier to straighten out finances. I agree, who wants to organize debt from a disorganized desk?
    The personal beauty products drawer I will leave alone. I would hate to invoke the wrath of a female who can't find her conditioner.
    So, this is a great step in my opinion! Start at the beginning, just like Mary Poppins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very Mary Poppins-like in many ways :)

    And I cannot tell you how many times I have eaten an entire box of cookies so I wouldn't eat them later. It made sense in my head at the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is inspiring! And I will posit that you can make other things in muffin tins besides muffins. Surely it is a convenient way to make healthy-size portions of something?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Muffin tins have so many uses! Crustless mini quiche/fritatta made with egg whites, freezing individual portions of soup/sauce/mixes, and don't forget sorting all those little pieces while assembling Ikea furniture!

    Loving your new blog! Might I suggest a page listing all of your handy Tip of the Day entries? I just noticed that I wonder what I missed out on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea Ingrid! I will work on a link or something tot he Tips of the Day! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a friend who, if she buys an entire bag of evil and realizes it after it may be too late, eats a few pieces of evil, gets out her hairspray and sprays the ever-lovin' #&*%$!@ out of what's left and promptly disposes of it. That way, even if she's tempted to dumpster-dive in her own kitchen, she can't, because hairspray's bad for the intestines. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you bake a cake you may be inclined to eat the entire thing. If you bake cupcakes you can eat one and freeze the rest. That way you have a tasty treat when company comes over. I find that I'm less likely to eat a sweet treat like that if I have to wait for it to thaw out.

    ReplyDelete