Monday, August 30, 2010

Invest in Your Health

Whether it is paying for a gym membership or buying a Wii Fit or a treadmill for home, an investment in your health is money well spent even if you are on a budget.

Sure, you could work out in your living room with the Jane Fonda video cassettes of your high school days and you could go outside to walk or run (and I highly recommend doing that once in a while when weather cooperates) but serious dedication to getting fit requires some tools. And I live in a 3rd floor apartment, stomping around doing kick boxing makes me really self conscious about the folks living below me.

Here in Boston there are dozens of health club options from the luxury of Equinox to the local independently owned place. I started off a couple years ago going to Boston Sports Club and when money got a little tight I dropped it altogether. It was spring and I thought I can just work out outside. I did for awhile, but last fall I decided if I was going to get serious about fitness I needed the machines at the gym.

I found a Gold's Gym closer to my apartment and half the monthly fee of BSC. And I went regularly for a long time. Then spring crept in, work got busy the weather got beautiful and all I wanted to do at lunch was stretch out in the park and read a book.

Not only was I not exercising, but I was wasting money. In order for my gym membership to be a savings over the pay-as-you-go option the gym offers, I have to go 3 times a week. I went 3 times a month for May, June and July.

I tried to guilt myself into going by telling myself I was wasting money, but guilt rarely works, you need to want to go and you need to plan and get into a routine where going is part of your life, not an added chore you tack on to your otherwise busy day.

Shop around for a gym, many offer great deals with low joining fees and incentives. The end of the month is a good time to go in as membership reps are trying to meet their goals and may have special offers. Remember that while price is important, convenience is key too. If you have to take two trains and a bus to save $10 a month you won't be as likely to go. Find the right balance and work up a sweat!

No comments:

Post a Comment