Thursday, September 1, 2011

What I Learned in Year One Part 4

I have to work out, no excuses.

As soon as I get busy the gym is the first thing that gets chopped from the schedule. I try to reason with myself that I will eat fewer calories to compensate, but I am certain my body does not work that way.

I know it is simple calories in vs. calories out and that we should be able to lose weight simply by cutting calories, but when I stop working out I stop losing weight.

Also, I find that when I work out I eat better overall. It is a truly symbiotic relationship for me. I am jealous of those who can just cut a few calories and drop a few pounds or who can work out and eat whatever they want. I am not one of those people.

It may be that I am getting old and my natural metabolism is stagnating, but I must find a way to get to the gym at least 4 times a week.

3 comments:

  1. I'm finding that I have to work out every day (if I don't have other plans) because it's so easy to skip frequently if it isn't worked into my day every day. As for eating, I am always tempted to justify eating something unhealthy if I've been working out a lot. I have to remind myself it doesn't work that way. The sad fact is that no amount of working out will make a brownie good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No but it is better to have the brownie on a work out day than on a day you sat around all day doing nothing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I fell off the workout wagon for a while, and of course I gained weight. I decided to aim to run as close to every day as possible, and I did really well for the kickoff period of 2 weeks. Now I'm running regularly, again, as often as possible. Because I'm back on, skipping a workout, or even 2, is a luxury -- a treat.

    ReplyDelete